I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Orange & Poppy Seed Chiffon Cake

The first time I laid my hands on them, I was ecstatic. I just love how the texture is so soft and fluffy. Seriously, it just excites me every single time I pop a bite-size piece into my mouth and let it melt on the palette of my tastebuds.

I am on a chiffon frenzy, making one chiffon cake after the other. All in a variety of different flavours.

I used the same orange chiffon cake recipe, added some poppy seed and voila! Orange Poppy Seed Chiffon cake! Yeap, it was THAT simple!

Orange Chiffon Cake
Recipe by The Bakeanista

Ingredients
(A)
6 egg yolks
50g caster sugar
2 tbsp orange rind
180ml orange juice
100ml corn or vegetable oil
180g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp poppy seeds (optional)

(B)
6 egg whites
100g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Method
1) In a bowl, mix using electric mixer, egg yolks and sugar, until sugar dissolves and mixture turns pale and creamy.
2) Mix orange rind and juice into egg yolk mixture.
3) Add in corn oil and mix well.
4) Sift together self-raising flour and baking powder. Fold in flour mixture and mix well. If you're keen to add poppy seeds, this is when you add them all in. Make sure to fold well before setting aside.
5) In another bowl, with a clean set of mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add in cream of tartar and beat until foamy-like.
6) Gradually add sugar in (1 tbsp at a time) and beat until soft peaks.
7) Fold 1/3 of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture using a spatula until incorporated.
8) Pour the mixture into the remaining 2/3 egg white mixture, and gently fold until incorporated.
9) Spoon the batter into a 23-cm chiffon tube pan and bang the pan on the table to rid bubbles.
10) Bake at lower bottom rack at 170 degrees Celcius for 45 minutes.
11) Remove from the oven and invert pan immediately. Remove cake from pan only when it's completely cooled.
12) Enjoy your orange fluffy! :D

I love it when my chiffon cakes rise this high, looking all tall and mighty.

I also have the habit of cutting them into bite-size pieces. You know why? It is easier to noms. Just pop one after another into my mouth. It's so light that it's too easy to binge on without realising how much you've eaten! #truestory

Close up shot to entice you! Now hurry along and bake some. You'll be thanking me later. ;)

No comments :

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)