I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Monday, October 11, 2010

The hidden gem.

Jenna and her boyfriend, Eddie, have been raving about how good the Devonshire tea at Mount Dandenong is but I'd just scrunch my nose and go, "No no no, no way am I eating scones again."

Two years ago, I tried scones for the first time, at the much talked about Miss Marples. While others went ahead for a second serve, slabbing on more cream and jam, I on the other hand, had to excuse myself to the toilet to barf. The scones were just so overwhelming, it made me sick.

Well, maybe it's just me, I don't know, but since then, I vowed to never touch scones again. And I never did over this two years. :$

Jenna, however, insisted that I give the scones at Churinga Cafe a try. As seen on the sign above, they claim to be the cafe that serves the best Devonshire tea in the Dandenong range. Of course I was skeptical, but I went ahead for it anyways.


My best friend, Jenna and I. ♥

We both shared a Devonshire tea set (A$10) which consisted of two scrumptious scones and a cup of Ceylon tea, or coffee if you prefer.

Unless you can finish both the scones by yourself, you could share the set then add on $3.50 for an extra cup of tea, just like what we did. :)

The scones, dusted with powdered sugar, were served with in-house forest fruits jam and freshly whipped cream.


Soft, fluffy and light, it was simply yums! This is scones. Now I finally understand why there's such a big hype over scones. They are lovely indeed! *oh, nom nom nom*

I highly recommend Churinga Cafe - a quiet, cozy ambiance to just chill, and enjoy your beautiful scones with a cuppa tea.

Forget the long queues at Miss Marples, Churinga Cafe is definitely Mount Dande's best kept secret. It is like a hidden gem, waiting to be discovered. Add Churinga Cafe next on your to-eat-list and I swear, you'll return to thank me. ;)

Churinga Cafe Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Though it might be quite a ride up Mt. Dandenong but trust me, the devonshire tea definitely is worth the hour drive.

Now I can't wait for the next trip up... Is anyone willing to drive me up again, pweety pweese? (*hint hint Jenna* :P)


Note: Don't hesitate to help yourself generously with the luscious cream and jam, aite? Just slab them on and worry about the calories later. ;)

4 comments :

Michelle Chin said...

I vow never to have high tea in Melbourne. The stuff is always too sweet for me. Do you know that Shangri la KL offers high tea for 2 for only RM 45++ and they serve so many goodies.
http://www.michelle-chin.com/2010/07/high-tea-lobby-lounge-shangri-la-kl.html

- m i c h e l l e - said...

Nooooo, you MUST try churinga someday okay! It's not too sweet, otherwise I wouldn't like it either. TRUST ME! :D

Oh that sounds good! It'll be on my places to eat in msia list.

Celeste @ Berrytravels said...

Yeah I don't like Miss Marple's scones. Really not right.

Must try this place!

My personal fave is Dolls at the Mount for their scones. Perfect!

- m i c h e l l e - said...

Haha glad to know I'm not the only weirdo who doesn't enjoy Miss Marple's scones.

I read your post on Dolls at the Mount and now I'm bugging my friend to drive me over. :P

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)