I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Need a bite?

When you're given 16 different flavours of macarons to choose from, like they do at the newly-established desserts paradise - LuxBite - it gets a tad bit too difficult to pick out your favourite two.

So, Jenna and I went ahead and ordered 9 pieces to share. The friendly co-founder of Luxbite, Bernard, who was serving us asked, "You sure you two girls can handle that many?" We sure can! ;)

From top left, in clockwise direction: rose & lychee; watermelon yogurt; blueberry. We also managed to try their strawberry and cream macarons which was on the "Please Try Me" plate. :P

The macarons from Luxbite were real yummers as they were crisp on the surface yet still light and airy in texture - just the way I like it. The texture weren't consistent for all flavours though. Some, namely the salted caramel and PBJ, were slightly chewier.

From top left, in clockwise direction: salted caramel; kaya toast; passionfruit; green tea. Their peanut butter and jelly (PBJ) macaron, which I forgot to take a picture of before I bit in, was my favourite among the lot. It was just screaming inside my mouth - yums!

I think their signature kaya toast macarons were also really good in both texture and flavour, although a tad bit too coconutty for both Jenna and I. Then again, we aren't big fans of coconut to begin with. Ahhhh.... Would love to see them come up with pandan macarons some day! ;)

Oh, may I add that their green tea macarons are not for the faint-hearted; it has a really intense flavour. I'm warning you, alright... Go for it only if you're a matcha lover!

I'd say, LuxBite serves one of the best macarons in Melbourne, on par with the ones I had from Earl Canteen. But Jenna and I both still rank the macarons from La Renaissance, Sydney as our Number 1 favourite. (:

We were getting quite a bit of a sugar rush from all that sweets, so we decided to have at least something savoury. They didn't have much choices when we were there a fortnight ago, so we got the egg and mayo sandwich. But from what I am aware of, they've recently brought in a couple of quiches as well as sausage rolls too. ;)

And then we had more desserts! This is known as the TrifLova - mango and passionfruit pavlova, served with macadamia, burnt coconut, and coriander. We loved the combination of texture and flavour.

It was really good, only we reckoned the passionfruit flavour was a tad bit too subtle and that the mango was overpowering. But all in all, so FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC! And oh, I would prefer mine without coriander, but only because I think it's smelly. :P

Jenna went ahead and ordered the Apple Crumble because she wasn't stuffed enough. From the looks of it, I think she kinda enjoyed it. But if my memory serves me right, I think she would have preferred it without too much cream and more crumbles instead.

To suit me better, I'd modify this quote to:
Forget love - I'd rather fall in desserts! :D

LuxBite on Urbanspoon

If ever you need a bite and you're around the corner, hop on over to LuxBite! ;) I bet you would leave the shop a happy boy/girl, with a wide grin on your face like we did.

Ah man, I am so going back for more indulgence when I'm back in Melbourne. After all, as it says in big block fonts on the front of their main entrance's window, "Life is uncertain. Eat desserts first." ;)

5 comments :

Celeste @ Berrytravels said...

I just went last week! I wasn't very fond of Kaya Toast, tho I adore Kaya. It just didn't have the true kaya taste, imo.

My fave was watermelon! yummm.

Cheryl yeo said...

Looks good and sounds yummy! Definitely gonna be on the list of eateries to try out when I'm back in Melbourne! (:

- m i c h e l l e - said...

Cel: I guess cox they are a few types of kaya and their macarons were leaning more towards the coconutty ones. I'd prefer it with more pandan flavour. Did you try the PBJ? Sooooo good! :D

Cheryl: Yes yes! I'll go with you! But when are u gonna come back to Melb?

thanh7580 said...

I can't believe I still haven't been there, given my love of macarons and dessert. Must make it a priority to go here soon.

Cheryl said...

Hehe of cuz I hope to be back soon my dear! Definitely let you know when I'm coming down under (:

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)