I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Sunday, November 25, 2012

BSB Sour Cream Pear Cake

I fell head over heels with Bourke Street Bakery (BSB) following my FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC experience there two years ago.

It was a shame I couldn't try much during my last visit to BSB, so yes, I've been wanting to return again. Hopefully soon.

But in the meantime, I got the BSB cookbook so that I can re-create the yummehness at home.


I looked through the book and decided that since I've tried baking the Passionfruit Meringue Tart and Strawberry Vanilla Creme Brulee Tart from recipes I've found online, it will be the Sour Cream Butter Pear Cake this time around.

Sour Cream Butter Cake with Pears
Reciped adapted from Bourke Street Bakery and modified by The Bakeanista

Ingredients:
250g unsalted butter
355g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
200g sour cream
300g self-raising flour, sifted
1 can (approx 400g) of sliced pears

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 200°C. Line baking paper on a greased 28cm round cake tin.

2) Put butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on low speed until pale and creamy.

3) Add the eggs in, one at a time, making sure they are completely incorporated before adding more.

4) Add the sour cream in two batches, then add the flour in two batches, until well combined.

5) Using a rubber spatula, scoop the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Arrange the pear wedges in an even circle around the tin. (If you like, sprinkle evenly approx 1/2 or 1 cup of raspberries)

6) Bake for 55 - 75 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.  

7) Remove from the oven to cool for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

8) This cake is best eaten as soon as it has cooled, but can be stored in airtight container for up to 3 days.

I invited some friends over, and they were going, "Wah so nice! Very sedaps (delicious in Malay)!" while digging into their slice of cake.

Whilst they were indeed very generous with their compliments, it's safe to say that this cake is definitely worth a try. ;)

9 comments :

Michelle Chin said...

Ooh you're back to the desserts now ? :)

The Bakeanista said...

Nah, this is an old post that has been sitting in my drafts for so long. :P

Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake said...

I've been meaning to get this book for the longest time! But I've never been to the actual bakery, I'm kicking myself for not going there last time I was in Sydney...really should have! The cake looks fantastic, wish I could get a slice. ;)

thanh7580 said...

Can't wait to try making this. Tasted so good.

The Bakeanista said...

I recommend it to anyone who tells me they're going to Sydney. Remember to put it on your list for your next trip! ;)

This cake is so easy to bake, give it a go - you can substitute the pear with any other fruits you like (ie. peaches/raspberries)

EatPlayShop said...

ooh I love all the photos of the yummy food from BSB on Instagram and I can't wait to go visit. Meanwhile I'm going to have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

The Bakeanista said...

EatPlayShop: No worries at all! Let me know how you go. And yes, BSB is a must-go if you're in Sydney!

Lianne said...

Gonna make this for xmas gift for colleagues! Thanks for sharing! Definitely planning to go BSB when I head to Sydney! x

msihua said...

I don't even like cakes but I was like mmm this was so good! Well done you!

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)