I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Flourless Raspberries Chocolate Cake

I was really excited when Nuffnang notified me that I was one of the lucky few bloggers selected to trial Lucky range of nuts.

Lucky Nuts has a range of products, including Australian grown almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pine nuts, pistachios, and macadamias, just to name a few.

Lucky Nuts were so kind to provide us with heaps of information on nuts and I even hopped onto their website to find out more.

Now that I've read up on how each nut is a powerhouse of nutrients in its own special way, I will start to use more nuts in my cooking now!

Apart from the nuts, there are two new Lucky products that was recently launched – Lucky Easy Chef Oven Roasted Almond Meal and Lucky Easy Chef Almond Crumble – which Lucky has very generously provided in the gift pack.

I particularly love both this product as they make baking quick, easy and so convenient. I used the Easy Chef Almond Crumble to make my family's favourite apple crumble.

Instead of spending time rubbing butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, I simply substituted with a packet of Easy Chef Almond Crumble.

The apple crumble was devoured as soon as I took it out of the oven! I will be sharing the recipe soon. ;)

Nuts are an easy way to add taste, texture and even nutrition to either cooking and baking, whether it’s the evening meal for the family or a signature dish to impress your guests at a dinner party.

And with Christmas looming close, maybe even Christmas goodies for everyone to enjoy at that special time of year or edible gifts for your family and close friends!

Edible gifts made with the thought not only puts a smile on the faces of your loved ones, they help save you moolah too! Yes, I'm a big fan of edible gifts! *hint hint* :D

The Brudder and I had guests over during the long weekend for dinner and I decided to make a Flourless Raspberries Chocolate Cake.


Flourless Raspberries Chocolate Cake
Recipe adapted from Exclusively Food and modified by The Bakeanista

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon instant coffee granules/powder
1 teaspoon hot water
100g butter
150g dark chocolate
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence)
4 large eggs at room temperature (we use eggs with a minimum weight of 59g)
170g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
1 packet of Lucky Nuts 200g almond meal 
1 cup of frozen raspberries


Method:
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan-forced).

2) Grease the side and base of a 20cm round cake pan - I used a springform pan for easy removal of the cake.

3) Line the base and side of the pan with non-stick baking paper - I used aluminium foil instead.

4) Dissolve coffee in one teaspoon of hot water.

5) Place butter, chocolate, vanilla and dissolved coffee in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when chocolate and butter have melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

6) Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks, taking care not to break the yolks. If any of the yolk gets into the whites, the yolk will prevent the egg whites from whipping properly. 

7) Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with about half the sugar in a large, clean bowl. Beat until soft peak stage (when the beater is lifted, a peak will form and then droop over).

8) In a separate bowl, beat yolks with remaining sugar using electric hand-held beaters or an electric mixer. Beat until mixture is thick, fluffy and creamy.

9) Gently fold cooled chocolate mixture from (5) into yolk mixture.

10) Break up any lumps of Lucky Nuts almond meal before gently stirring it into the chocolate mixture.

11) Spoon about one third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and use a spatula or large spoon to gently fold the egg whites through the mixture until just combined. Fold in remaining egg whites until just combined.

12) Fold raspberries into the mixture, then pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 40-55 minutes until a tester skewer comes out clean.

13) Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. 

14) Help yourself to a generous slice whilst it's still warm! :D

The cake would be lovely served either with whipped cream, berries, ice cream or simply dusted with icing sugar - it's your call!

Oh my, the cake was rich, soft and moist with a meringue-like crust. Simply divine! I'll definitely be baking this again, and again, and again!

Easy, gluten free and delicious, this Flourless Chocolate Cake could very well be your contribution at your upcoming Christmas potluck party! You're welcome, don't have to thank me. ;)

The full range of Lucky nuts are available in Coles, with a smaller range available in Woolies and independent supermarkets.

Please note that whilst this is a Product Talk by Nuffnang, all opinions are 100% honest.

3 comments :

msihua said...

That looks lovely! I love flourless chocolate cakes!

msihua said...

That looks lovely! I love flourless chocolate cakes!

The Bakeanista said...

msihua: you wouldn't believe it if I said this is actually my first attempt at flourless chocolate cake! I've never had one before this. :S

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)