I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Sunday, April 21, 2013

The most amazing Vanilla Granola!

I was not a big fan of oats, or bircher muesli, or granola, or porridge, you get the gist. You can force feed any of the aforementioned, and I wouldn't swallow. But notice how I used the word 'was'? ;)

In my attempt to lose weight, I believe I had to eat healthier and so I have tried to incorporate all of the above in my meal planning.

I've done quite well thus far. Instead of having, say for example, bread with butter and kaya spread, I have a glass of banana smoothie.

Overnight oats & chia seeds with juicy berries, sunflower seeds and raisins!
Or instead of preparing an egg and bacon muffin, I now have a bowl of overnight oats with berries. But because I am one who gets bored of the same thing over and over again, I had to mix things up a little.

I was sooooo excited when I came across Iron Chef Shellie's post on the most amazing Vanilla Granola recipe. She sold me right in.

From the moment I read her post, I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. I wanted to have a bite of it "LIKE NOW!!!" kind of feeling, if you know what I mean.

I got home wanting to make some right away. But I hesitated; instead I went to the gym, prepared and ate my dinner, washed up... And I was still thinking about it! GODDAMNYOU GRANOLA!

I knew I had all the ingredients sitting around in my pantry, so I contemplated no more and got down to business. Best decision made!

They're so darn bloody good. Not what I'd ever expect granola to taste like. Even when they were baking in the oven... oh my! My kitchen smelt so divine!

Even the Boyfriend who doesn't eat granola, said it was good. Yeap, I forced some into his mouth! "Try babe, TRY!!!" :P

You need to make some, you really do. There you go, recipe below. Trust me, you'll thank both myself and Iron Chef Shellie. ;)

Vanilla Granola
Recipe adapted from Iron Chef Shellie and modified by The Bakeanista

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup raw caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup rolled instant oats
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup macadamias, chopped
  • 1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
  • Seasonal fruits

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a baking tray with foil and lightly grease.
  2. Place caster sugar, vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup (125ml) water in a small pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5-6 minutes until syrupy. Leave aside to cool.
  3. Combine oats, cinnamon, oil, brown sugar and nuts in a bowl. Add vanilla syrup and toss to combine. Spread granola in a single layer on the lined tray and bake for 30-35 mins, stirring twice in the final 20 minutes, until dry and golden.
  4. I know like myself, you'd be very eager to pop some into your mouth, but I'd highly suggest to let it cool or your tongue might get burnt. Yeap, this is me speaking from experience.
  5. Serve the granola with yogurt and fruit. 
My first batch was demolished so very quickly. Yes, it was THAT awesome! You cannot believe how something so easily prepared can taste so good, can you? ;)

Michele was right, I should have made a double batch. Should have! But it's okay, I'll be making another batch soon. Hmmm... Actually if you will excuse me, I'm off to make some now. Toodles! *runs to kitchen*

6 comments :

Milktea Eats said...

ive never made ganola at home but this looks mouthwateringly good!

Iron Chef Shellie said...

=D I'm still beaming reading this post!
Go you girlfriend!! Weightloss not as easy as weightgain. I think I need to make a batch now hearing how good you think it is :P
xoxox

msihua said...

Hahaha.. I was looking at this thinking it looked familiar :) Good effort!

The Bakeanista said...

Milkteaxx: You need to really try this recipe! It is really yum. :)

Shellie: If only weight loss was as easy as weight gain, I'd be eating my heart out. :P

Msihua: Yahhhh I really loved Shellie's post and her pictures, I had to print in colour.

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

I've been meaning to try this recipe for the longest time but haven't had the time :) I'm a huge fan of oats, porridge and muesli so I'm sure I'd love these!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

This is such a fun and cute idea for parties!

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)