I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Chocolate Banana Layer Cake

My big Brudder celebrated his birthday almost three weeks ago. #iknowright #delayedblogger *cough* I decided instead of getting him a fancy Lindt or Le Petit Gateau cake like I do every year, I might as well take on the challenge to bake him one.

I thought long and hard before coming up with the idea of replicating one of his favourite (or at least I think it was) Secret Recipe's Chocolate Banana Layer cake.

After much researching, I decided to go with Aunty Yochana's Awfully Chocolate Banana cake recipe. And tadahhhhh here's the end result:


Three luscious layers of chocolate chiffon cake filled with two alternate layers of fresh banana and chocolate mousse, then topped with chocolate ganache and garnished with sweet, juicy strawberries.

Although all the layers seem to have come out in the same hue of brown, I think I did a pretty good job with the layering, no? xD

Anyhoos! I did modify the recipe slightly so I thought I'd share my version below, but do check out Aunty Yochana's blog for more great recipes! :)

Chocolate Banana Layer Cake
Recipe adapted from Yochana's Cake Delight & modified by The Bakeanista

(A) Chocolate Sponge cake:

  • 4 egg yolks (of large eggs weighing about 60g each)
  • 100g castor sugar
  • 120g self raising flour
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
  • 50g corn oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 4½ egg white (of large eggs weighing about 60g each)
  • ¼ tsp cream of tartar
  • 60g castor sugar
  • 30g cocoa powder
  • 120ml hot water

Method:
  1. Mix cocoa powder with hot water and stir well. Set aside.
  2. Sift self raising flour, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda together then set aside.
  3. Mix egg yolks and sugar until creamy, light and fluffy.
  4. Add in oil and mix well, followed by vanilla essence.
  5. Add in cocoa mixture and stir together until smooth then set mixture aside.
  6. Using a clean, dry bowl, beat egg white with cream of tartar for 2-3 minutes until foamy, then pour in sugar gradually till egg white hits soft peak.
  7. Fold the egg yolk mixture from (5) into the egg white mixture. Note: Do not over mix otherwise the egg white will be deflated and the cake will sink. 
  8. Pour into a 23cm round cake tin and bake at 175°C for approximately 50-60 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.
  9. Cool the cake on wire rack and then slice into 3 layers.

(B) Chocolate mousse
  • 400ml thickened cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp gelatine powder (mix together with 4 tbsp water and microwave for 20 secs)
  • 50g cocoa powder sift with;
  • 80g icing sugar
  • 1 tbsp of instant coffee (mix together with 1½ tbsp hot water)
  • 1 tbsp Kahlua/Tia Maria coffee liquor (I omitted)
  • 2 large ripe bananas; slice thickly

Method:
  1. Refrigerate your mixing bowl and beater attachment for 15-20 minutes.
  2. Use chilled bowl and beater to whip the thickened cream until soft peak.
  3. Add vanilla, gelatine mixture, cocoa icing mixture, coffee mixture and liquor (if using) and mix well.

(C) Chocolate Coating 
  • 35g cocoa powder
  • 50g sugar
  • 150ml thickened cream
  • 80g chocolate, chopped
  • 30g butter

Method:
Put all ingredients into a bowl and double boil until chocolate has melted and mixture thickens. Cool before pouring onto cake.

To assemble:

*minion's voice* Banana? Baaaanaaaaanaaaaaaaaa! xD
  1. Spread 1/3 of the mousse on the first layer of sponge cake, lay the slice bananas on top and then top up with another layer or sponge, continue till the last layer of sponge is used up. 
  2. Cover the whole cake with the balance mousse and keep in the refrigerator till the mousse sets.
  3. Pour the coating onto the cake and let the chocolate mixture flows down the side smoothly.
  4. Decorate the cake and put into the fridge till coating sets.
I have to admit that I wasn't happy with how the cake deco turned out. I thought it looked really horrible but I was running out of time as we had to head out to dinner with friends and this was the best I could offer. The Boyfriend was very nice to say that I did a good job. :)

A friend even labelled this as the "best cake ever". As we had quite a heavy dinner, she initially wanted to share her slice with her partner. But changed her mind after her first bite - which is always a good sign!

Everybody seemed to have enjoyed the cake; that makes me one very happy girl. It is one of the most satisfactory feeling. :)

Although mine did not turn out as beautiful and neat as Aunty Yochana's, I was proud and satisfied with how yummy it was. It was super yummy, I want to bake this again!

5 comments :

Iron Chef Shellie said...

Lucky brother you have! looks great :) x

The Bakeanista said...

Thanks Shellie! This is nothing compared to your clock cake!

Milktea Eats said...

choc and banana is another pairing i love but i will always love choc and strawberry the most!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, i made it and it received rave reviews! The mousse was barely enough for my cake though and i thought the ganache was abit sweet for my personal preference so i might use dark choc in future. But thanks once again it was a delicious cake!

Saw your mango mousse and matcha mascarpone cake and i might try making them next time. :)

DT

The Bakeanista said...

Thanks DT for your lovely comment. I made this cake years ago I can't remember if I had a thick ganache layer, but maybe next time double the amount. :)

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)