I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Korean Beef Ribs (갈비)

I told you I am on a roll with Korean food, didn't I?

Even after having Korean food for a few days consecutively, I was still craving it! So I made these super yummy Korean beef ribs (if I may say so myself) the other night.

The meat was so flavoursome, and fall-off-the-bone tender. Really really very scrummy, I was so happy!

My Brudder so cheeky, he jokingly said, "It was so good, I could even speak Korean after!" What does that even mean? I don't know but I'm taking it as a compliment! xD

This recipe is a keeper and I will definitely be making it again! Maybe when my Mummy comes to visit. I proudly sent her a picture of my beef ribs and she responded with this super sad face emoji followed by "Why you make me drool?!!"

And then later that night, she made a good come back - she sent me a picture of my favourite apple strudel. :(

Korean Beef Ribs (갈비)
Recipe adapted from Trissalicious and modified by The Bakeanista

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 kilo beef ribs (I used a mix of back & short ribs)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 3 tsp sesame oil
  • 3 spring onions, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tbsp grated ginger
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp Japanese sake
  • 1 tbsp mirin
  • 3 cups water

To serve; garnish:
  • Toasted sesame seeds to serve
  • 1 spring onion, chopped to serve

Method:
  1. Season the beef ribs with salt and pepper and fry the pieces in batches a pot with the oil. It is best not to overcrowd the pot, otherwise you won’t sear the meat and get a nice golden brown color.
  2. Once done, throw in the rest of the ingredients including the 3 cups of water until beef is covered in the braising liquid.
  3. Bring to a boil and skim off any scum that rises to the top of the pot.
  4. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for at least 2 hours or until the beef is tender and falling off the bone. Mine cooked away for 3 hours.
  5. To thicken the sauce, add 1 tbsp of cornstarch which has been diluted in 2 tbsp of cold water when the ribs are done. I omitted this step as my sauce was thick enough to my liking.
  6. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and the chopped spring onions.
And tadahhhhhh!!! Serve whilst warm, and enjoy with a bowl of Japanese rice or Korean black rice. 맛있다!!! In case you were wondering, that reads as 'masissda' which translates to delicious. :)

P/S: I love it when Korean waitresses, whilst clearing our table, ask how our meal went. I take every opportunity to go "Ahhhh... 맛있다!" in true Korean style and see the shocked reaction on their faces! :P

Oh! You can speak Korean? 

No comments :

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)