I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Retro Apple Cheese Ball

Several weeks ago, when I received Michele's (who else if not the awesome blogger behind Iron Chef Shellie) invitation to her Retro Party, I scratched my head hard thinking, "Gosh what should I make to a party full of food bloggers?"

I was nervous. Being a perfectionist, I wanted to make something that would please the crowd. So many retro recipes of which I came across looked disgusting, and I'm sure as hell they would taste quite gross too!

Photo Credit to Iron Chef Shellie
It took me a good while going through recipes after recipes before I stumbled upon the Retro Apple Cheese Ball recipe. It was so cool, I knew I had to make it.

In Thanh's word, it was very "Heston style play on your mind". Boy oh boy, am I honoured to be put next to Heston's name in the one same sentence. *blush*

Photo Credit to Food Rehab
The cheese ball is in the shape of an apple, and I included crushed dried apple crisps so that it would taste a tad bit like an apple. I also served the cheese ball alongside slice apple.

I was very pleased with how it turned out, and I liked its texture. I have to add though, in terms of taste, I found that it was a tad too rich for my liking.

I like light cheeses, so if you're like me, this might not be your cup of tea. But I couldn't help but beamed in pride as my fellow food bloggers were singing my praises. I'm glad they enjoyed it!

Here's the recipe below, should you wish to give it a go. :)

Retro Apple Cheese Ball
Adapted from Always Order Dessert and Modified by The Bakeanista

Ingredients
  • 250g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 220g white cheddar cheese, grated 
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Pinch ground cayenne pepper 
  • 50g dried apple crisps
  • Pinch of Kosher salt and black pepper 
  • Sweet Paprika
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 large whole bay leaf
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
  • Water Crackers


Method
  1. Mix cream cheese and grated cheddar cheese, stirring until well combined.
  2. Add Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper.
  3. Crush the dried apple crisps and add into the mix.
  4. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
  5. Shape the cheese mixture using clean hands into a round ball.
  6. To achieve the shape of an apple, create a nook on the top and shape a narrow bottom. 
  7. Place on a sheet of baking paper or aluminium foil, then generously sprinkle sweet paprika all over the cheese ball.
  8. Gently and carefully lift the cheese ball up with dry hands, and sprinkle sweet paprika on the sides and bottom.
  9. Transfer to your cheese platter/serving plate, then patch any spots with more paprika.
  10. Tuck the cinnamon stick and bay leaf  into the nook like a stem and leaf.
  11. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 3-4 hours to set.
  12. Remove from fridge about one hour to allow cheese ball to soften before serving.
  13. Serve with water crackers, a small knife for spreading and sliced Granny Smith apple. 
Never mind if you're not hosting or attending a retro party, this Apple Cheeseball would make a great entrée regardless. Good luck! ;)

5 comments :

Cindy said...

Wow, that looks amazing! And very retro. :-)

msihua said...

I would have to agree.. this cheeseball was amazing! So creative and such genius!!! *CLAPS*

jac said...

This looks so cute!

Iron Chef Shellie said...

So amazing!! I really want to try making this maybe for the next family function and play with their minds!

You are amazing girl!! x

The Bakeanista said...

Cindy: Thank you for your kind words! :)

Msihua: Wooohoooooo! Soft soft one get sayangs. :P

Jac: It is, isn't it! :)

Shellie: Yes do it! I bet yours will turn out even more amazing. ;)

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)